Cocaine is among the most used drugs over the course of history. In the US, 35.3 million individuals in the United States reveal using cocaine. Overall, 8.5% of high school seniors studied mentioned having taken cocaine. So, what is cocaine and what are cocaine use warning signs?
What Is Cocaine?
Cocaine is a stimulant produced from leaves of the coca plant. These leaves grow native in South America and were utilized for hundreds of years as a natural stimulant. There are medical uses for the drug, but it has transformed into a potent and dangerous street substance. It is a fine white powder that looks like crystals. Just like any street drug one can mistake the pureness of what is purchased. Frequently cocaine is combined with cornstarch, flour, or baby powder. The greater the mix of these substances the more revenue the dope dealer acquires. Typically, the drug is combined with other drugs rendering it more harmful to use. It’s essential to keep an eye out for cocaine use signs and extreme reactions.
The Quick History of Cocaine
- The very first document of coca leaves utilized as a stimulate dates to 3000 BC when the Incas made use of it to enhance breathing while living high in the mountains.
- Peruvians made use of the coca leaves in spiritual ceremonies going back to the 1500s.
- German chemist Albert Niemann derived cocaine from the coca leaves in 1859.
” This authentic version of Coca-Cola was composed of a small amount of coca extract and therefore a hint of cocaine. (It was removed early in the twentieth century, though other extracts stemmed from coca leaves continue to be a component of the drink to this day.) Its concept was not the unintentional mixture of an amateur exploring in his garden, but the intentional and painstaking end result of months of work by an experienced producer of quack remedies.”
— Tom Standage, A History of the World in 6 Glasses
- In 1884 Sigmund Freud declared cocaine was a wonder drug and prescribed it freely.
- Also during the 1800s cocaine was utilized in the soft drink aptly named Coca-Cola.
- By the 1900s cocaine addictions claimed 5,000 lives per year.
- In 1903 cocaine was eliminated from the Coca-Cola formula.
- By 1922 cocaine was forbidden to buy or use.
- Cocaine reemerged as an unlawful energy stimulant in the 1970s.
Therapeutic Advantages of Cocaine
Medical cocaine is a topical treatment to numb areas or minimize blood flow and hemorrhaging. Even though seldom used, cocaine’s offered for surgical treatments in the nose or mouth. These days, less harmful topical anesthetics are utilized for oral surgeries.
Cocaine consumption symptoms may consist of:
- Stress and anxiety
- Boosted energy
- Enhanced mental alertness
- Loss of appetite
- Decreased fatigue
- Trouble sleeping
- Weight reduction
Upon use of cocaine; blood vessels tighten, pupils expand, and temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate rises. Consequently, the individual using cocaine may experience heart attacks, stroke, seizures, and additional problems.
Assistance for Cocaine Consumption Symptoms and Complications
If you or a loved one are displaying severe cocaine use symptoms, stop what you are doing, and call 911 immediately. Do not hesitate. You could save a life.
Drug Rehab in South Florida
Ready to receive assist for a cocaine addiction before cocaine use symptoms become worse? Aion Recovery is always standing by, ready to help. 888-811-2879